logo

 

our church

Welcome To The First Parish Church of Hubbardston

 

Sunday Services open to all during the months of September through May. Services begin Sundays at 10:00am.

Vestry Rental: The Vestry is available for rental and is a great space for any gathering.  Contact a member of the Parish Committee to get more information.

Parish Committee – The Parish Committee meets at 6 pm every Wednesday. We continue to carry on the daily business of the Church. All are welcome and encouraged to attend our meetings.

 

 

 

Parish Committee

Carol Whitney

978-928-3748

Barbara Hubbard 

978-928-4475

Carol Hubbard-Kelley

978-928-4473

Gail Dorval

978-297-2718

Nancy Hubbard

978-928-5964

Robert Hubbard (Deacon)

978-928-4475

 

 

 

 

 

 

Building History:

churchThe original meetinghouse location was to have been on a hill northeast of the present location of the First Parish Church. An exchange was made with the minister, whose 100-acre lot included the area set out for a meetinghouse and burying ground. The first settler, Eleazer Brown, was granted 60 acres that same year to keep a tavern. It was nine years before he was joined by other permanent residents. First settlers were documented as arriving in 1737 but there were no permanent settlers until 1744. The town was incorporated as a district in 1767, at that time the town included 30 families, 150 individuals. Nine years later the town's total population was 388.

An attempt to establish the church was made in 1766 but was not formed until 1770 by six men.

Hubbardston's first meetinghouse was built on the common in 1773 and was completed in 1794. The original building measured 45 x 45 feet. A porch and belfry were added in 1806.

 

The present mid 19th century appearance of the building results from two re-modelings, in 1842 and 1869.

cemetaryIn 1842 a room was built under the building, and oxen turned the building so it would face the main road rather than the cemetery.

Although no longer a municipal meetinghouse, the structure still graces the Common these days as the First Parish Unitarian Church of Hubbardston. The building houses an 1833 bell made by George Holbrook, who was an apprentice of Paul Revere, and a town-owned clock made in 1807 by Abel Stowell, who was a renowned Worcester clockmaker.

The building is also on the National Registry of Historic Places.

 

renovationsWe have recently completed an exterior renovation of our church, made possible by a grant from The Massachusetts Preservation Projects Fund through the Massachusetts Historical Commission, Secretary of the Commonwealth William Francis Galvin Chairman, and a grant from the tax payers of the town of Hubbardston through their Community Preservation Act Funds.

To see a photo gallery of our renovation, please click here.

Text taken from Massachusetts Historical Commission Reconnaissance Survey Town Report, Hubbardston Mass- report dated 1984.

 
Calendar